The parish of St. Lucy began
under the leadership of Monsignor Lombardo in a
rented store where the first Mass was celebrated in
August, 1927. In 1928, ground was broken and the
cornerstone laid for the erection of the church. In
addition, the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes was
dedicated in May, 1939 and the Scala Santa was
opened in July, 1941. These two devotional shrines
have made St. Lucy Parish an historic landmark in
the City of New York
As the parish continued to grow, the school building
was added to the parish complex. St. Lucy School was
dedicated in 1955 by Cardinal Spellman to meet the
educational needs of the children of the parish.
St. Lucy, the patroness of our parish, was an early
Christian martyr. The name “Lucy” is derived from a
Latin word meaning “light” and St. Lucy is venerated
for her sight-giving powers. Her special feast day
is celebrated on December 13th.
PHILOSOPHY OF ST. LUCY’S SCHOOL
We believe that the clergy, faculty, parents and
students form an active Christian community
dedicated to carrying out the threefold goal of
Catholic Education: message, community and service.